Nutrition value of black coffee
If you are looking for a drink that is low in calories, fats, and carbohydrates, then black coffee is the perfect drink for you. Simply put, drinking coffee only becomes a cause for concern when you drink it regularly with milk, sugar, cream, etc. With these additives, even a single cup of coffee can contain as many calories as an extra-large slice of cake.
Typically, an 8-ounce cup of black coffee contains:
- 0% fat
- 0% cholesterol
- 0% sodium
- 0% carbohydrates
- 0% sugar
- 4% potassium
“Caffeine is a stimulant that acts on the central nervous system, the heart, and possibly the ‘center’ that controls blood pressure,” all of which play a vital role in helping your mind and body push harder in a workout, says Heidi Skolnik, M.S., a sports nutritionist and owner of Nutrition Conditioning, Inc. “It can also increase the release of feel-good neurotransmitters like dopamine, which effects pain receptors and mood” while you’re working out.
Black coffee for weight loss
Many people, even those who drink black coffee regularly, are unaware that the beverage is a great catalyst for losing weight. If you want to lose weight because of aesthetic or health reasons, or you just don’t feel good in your own body, it is no secret that diet is an important part of any weight loss journey. You must consume foods and beverages that will help you achieve your goal, and black coffee is one of them.
Below, we discuss black coffee benefits for weight loss:
- Black coffee contains chlorogenic acid, which helps to slow down glucose production in your body. This means that if you drink black coffee after a meal, then your body will produce less glucose, as well as fat cells.
- Black coffee also contains antioxidants, which help in the weight loss process.
- Since black coffee is rich in caffeine, it helps in the stimulation of metabolic activity and increases your energy level, thereby suppressing hunger.
- As mentioned before, black coffee is a low-calorie drink, and also does not contain fats or cholesterol. This means that you do not put on any weight by drinking black coffee daily.
- Many people love to take black coffee a few minutes before they hit the gym. This is because it can boost metabolism greatly, allowing you to reap more benefits from your workout session.
- Other black coffee benefits for weight loss include the reduction of water content in the body. As a result of frequent urination, you will reduce excess water in your body, which helps in temporary weight loss.
Black coffee benefits
If you love black coffee, you will be happy to learn that the beverage offers plenty of benefits, both for your body and your mind. Let’s discuss these black coffee benefits in detail below:
It improves cardiovascular health
Regular intake of black coffee may lead to an increase in your blood pressure, but this effect diminishes with time. Studies have shown that drinking one to two cups of black coffee every day can reduce your risk of developing various cardiovascular diseases, including stroke. This means that over time, black coffee gives you a stronger heart. Besides, inflammation in the body is also reduced.
It improves your memory
Black coffee is known to be great for improving your memory. As we grow older, our cognitive skills get affected, and we are more likely to develop memory-related diseases such as Alzheimer’s, Dementia, and Parkinson’s diseases. Drinking black coffee regularly can help combat these by keeping your brain fit and healthy. It keeps your nerves active, thus enhancing brain function.
It is good for your liver
One of the most important black coffee benefits is that it boosts liver health. Your liver is a vital organ in your body that carries out many functions. It’s important that you keep it healthy and black coffee is perfect for that. Regular intake of black coffee has been linked with the prevention of liver cancer, fatty liver disease, hepatitis as well as alcoholic cirrhosis. Studies have shown that people who consume four cups of black coffee every day have much lower chances of developing any kind of liver disease. This is because the contents of black coffee can help to lower the level of harmful liver enzymes that are found in the blood.
It helps you cleanse your stomach
Coffee is a diuretic beverage, which means that the more you consume, the more often you will urinate. This means that toxins and bacteria get flushed out from your stomach every time you urinate. This cleanses your stomach and keeps you generally healthy.
It may help prevent the risk of developing cancer
Studies have shown that regular consumption of black coffee may be linked with a lower risk of developing certain types of cancer such as liver cancer, breast cancer, colon cancer and rectal cancer. Coffee is great for reducing inflammation in your body, which helps to preventing tumour development.
It is rich in antioxidants
Many of the health benefits of black coffee are because of its rich antioxidant content. Strong antioxidants such as Potassium, magnesium, Vitamin B2, B3, and B5, as well as manganese can be found in black coffee.